Northampton: Sustainable Food City?
Access to locally produced, healthy food is a vital part of any sustainable strategy for local places.
As part of Northampton Transition Town’s work, we are hoping to have Northampton recognised as a Sustainable Food City, through registration with the international network of food cities. Read about them here: http://sustainablefoodcities.org/about
We aim to produce a sustainable food strategy for Northampton before the end of 2018, which will address the 6 key principles recommended:
- Promoting healthy and sustainable food to the public
- Tackling food poverty, diet-related ill health and access to affordable healthy food
- Building community food knowledge, skills, resources and projects
- Promoting a vibrant and diverse sustainable food economy
- Transforming catering and food procurement
- Reducing waste and the ecological footprint of the food system
To help us create this strategy we will create a vibrant network of local people and organisations representing the range of public, third sector and business organisations in our town, representing all of those interested in a heathy sustainable food system that benefits growers, consumers and suppliers alike.
We will gradually add partnership supporters as they are recruited.
If you want to join the network, or get involved, contact David Garlick, 07905082438; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
‘Grow your own – reconnect with the natural world – improve your well being
Grow Local – shop Local – grow the Local economy’